Wednesday, December 2, 2009

In the Beginning

Take One: She Says

Oh How I Love Thee . . .

There are a lot of reasons why I'm with Will:
  • He's tall, so if we ever decide to have something other than dogs whatever it is may stand a chance of not being midget sized (don't get your hopes up mom, you won't be having any grand-babies besides 'Nook and Lola for quite some time).
  • He approves/accepts my nerdome and ridiculous antics (see: obsession with writing, cake decorating, and changing my hair)
  • But most of all, he constantly blows my mind by doing things I would never imagine him doing.
Case and point: Monday, November 30, 2009.

Mondays are never exciting. Especially Mondays after Thanksgiving. And most definitely not Mondays after a whole week off of work. To ease Will's Monday working blues, I decided to go have lunch with him downtown. Over green curry chicken and beef stew (we each brought our own lunches), we chatted about what all couples chat about: nothing. Then, Will had a blow-'Licia's-mind-type-thought.

"Hey," he said, "you know what I think would be fun?"

I stopped stirring my curry and cautiously looked up, "I'm afraid to ask."

"I think we should both go buy notebooks, then go to restaurants around town and do food reviews together."

Mind. Blown.

"I love you," was all I could say.

We immediately went and bought notebooks at CVS and decided to start a blog for our reviews. In the Savannah Mall later that evening, we came up with the blog name based on the fact that Will always asks, "Are you gonna eat that" whenever he sees leftovers on my plate. And sitting outside of Sushi Time Towa, we decided that we weren't allowed to share opinions until we both wrote our reviews.

Truthfully, we've been unofficially reviewing food ever since we started dating. It is kind of like sex to us. I mean our idea of a good time is to have an amazing meal, critique the the amazing food while eating the amazingness, then talk about how amazingly amazing it was to eat amazing food hours, days, and (if it's really spectacular) weeks afterwards.

So, here's our attempt at critiquing food, and (insert tear here) just another reason why I love a man who still collects baseball cards at age 23.

- Alicia

Take Two: He Says

I Only Eat the Finest Meats and Cheeses

I've always enjoyed food, in so much as I've always enjoyed shoveling food in my mouth. When I began dating Alicia I began to gain a deeper appreciation for what all goes into it and the art behind it. I guess you could say most of her Foodie tendencies rubbed off on me. 2+ years of eating out and watching the Food Network with her later and I think I've developed at least a respectable palette, at least for a guy fresh out of college. Granted, I still love Spaghettios (only the kind with meatballs) and a trip to Steak and Shake gets me all giddy, but I know a good foie gras or piece of sushi when I taste one.

In fact, sushi is kinda what spawned this whole idea. I moved down to Savannah for work back in June. When I lived in Statesboro (about an hour away) there was a great restaurant there where we would alwaysgo for date night. It's one of those places where the food is always good and the price is right. Moving to Savannah, I just assumed that there would be a good sushi place. I mean, we are on the coast after all. Unfortunately, we've tried a new place just about every weekend since I moved here and none of them hold a candle to our place in Statesboro. In fact, most of them are just downright terrible. Some so bad, I question the people who posted positive reviews on Google about these places. So instead of trusting Tom, Dick and Harry with their 3 sentence review, I thought it would be fun if we did a more in depth review of restaurants here in the Coastal Empire and any other place we eat on our travels.

-Will

3 comments:

Sabryna said...

So I have just read through this and laughed my ass off. I miss you two; this is an AWESOME idea. I can't wait to see what else you come up with. Though I don't know when you have the time to do it, I'm not going to lie; after grading all day, the thought of writing more makes me green around the gills.

Although, I still read at least 30 minutes before bed each night, regardless of how much wine I've had... maybe I do understand.

cookingnerd said...

MISS YOU TOO BRY! I have to make time to write other things besides, "did you read the assignment" for my sanity's sake.

cookingnerd said...
This comment has been removed by the author.